Flood Insurance

Homeowners Coverage
A typical homeowners policy DOES NOT cover damage caused by a flood. To protect your home from flood damage, you need a separate flood policy. Most flood insurance policies are through the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), although some private insurance companies also offer flood insurance. You can find a summary of NFIP's coverage at www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1620-20490-4648/f_679_summaryofcoverage_11_2012.pdf
key west 81665 1920
For additional information, contact NFIP at 888-FLOOD-29 or visit www.floodsmart.gov.
IMPORTANT:  Flood policies typically:
  • have a 30-day waiting period before you have coverage
  • DO NOT cover your additional living expenses if you are unable to live in your home due to a covered flood loss
  • require a written "proof of loss" document that confirms your claim will be filed within 60 days after a loss

You may be eligible for additional assistance from FEMA for disaster-caused expenses, including temporary housing assistance. For additional information, contact FEMA at 800-621-3362 or visit www.disasterassistance.gov.  


Auto Coverage
Comprehensive coverage (commonly referred to as "other than collision") typically pays for damage to your auto caused by events other than a collision, including flood.
If you only purchased liability insurance and did not purchase comprehensive coverage, your personal auto policy will not pay for damage caused by events such as flood. Auto liability insurance pays for injuries to other people or property of others that you, or a covered person, cause in an auto accident.
Be sure to read your policy to see what coverage you have and make sure you have the coverage you need.

Do You Need to File a Claim or Have Coverage Questions?

If you have damage that may be covered under your insurance policy or questions about your coverage, contact your agent or company as soon as possible.  
  • Be sure to keep a record of all communications you have with your agent or company.
  • Be prepared to answer questions about the extent and severity of the damage. 
To file a claim with NFIP, call 800-638-6620.

Are You Making Repairs Before Settling Your Insurance Claim? 
If you are making repairs prior to settling your insurance claim, only make repairs necessary to protect your home and property from further damage - such as covering broken windows and holes to keep rain out.    
  • Don't make permanent repairs until instructed by your insurance company.
  • Take photos or video of the damage.
  • Save all repair receipts.


Tips That May Assist You With Your Claim
  • Make sure your insurer knows how to contact you.
  • Inspect your property and cars for damage.
  • Inventory your damage.
  • Photograph or video the damage.
  • Don’t throw away damaged property until your insurance adjuster has seen it.
  • Get your insurance company’s approval before you make any permanent repairs.
  • Try to be present when the insurance adjuster inspects the damage.
  • Be sure your address is visible. If your address is not visible, post a sign with your address and the name of your insurance company.



Storm Recovery Assistance

FEMA: 800-621-3362 or www.DisasterAssistance.gov

Insurance Company Mobile Unit Locations throughout Texas: www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/storms/mobileunits.html

NFIP: 800-427-4661 or www.FloodSmart.gov

To file flood claims with the NFIP: 800-638-6620

TDI Consumer Helpline: 800-252-3439 or www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/disasters.html 

OPIC: 512-322-4143 or www.opic.texas.gov 

Texas Division of Emergency Management: 512-424-2208 or www.dps.texas.gov/dem 

Please note that this list is not comprehensive and each respective resource is maintained by the listed state or federal agency.