Highlights and News
OPIC's 2018 Achievements
We’ve been working hard for consumers this year. Here are just some of our biggest highlights from 2018:
- Reviewed, analyzed, and intervened in over 1,250 rate, rule, and form filings.
- Advocated for lower auto and homeowners insurance rates and fees, resulting in lower rates and fees that saved consumers almost $2 million.
- Testified in an industry-wide workers compensation hearing, arguing for lower rates for Texas businesses.
- Filed a letter of objection with the Commissioner of Insurance opposing the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA)’s proposed rate increase on coastal policyholders.
- Updated Policy Comparison Tool to be browser and mobile-friendly and added filtering options.
- Redesigned our website with consumers in mind. Our new content is provided in an easy-to-use and plain language format. Features of the website include: an agent comment portal, shopping guides and checklists, HMO report cards, and a helpful list of health agencies and resources.
OPIC Objects to TWIA Rate Filing
OPIC Produces Flood Postcards
Plain Language Initiative Underway
As part of these efforts, OPIC is making its info easier to understand by use of plain language.
Plain language makes communications easier to understand by using less jargon, shorter sentences, bigger text, and simplified formatting.