Highlights and News
2018-2019 Comparing Texas HMO Report Released
Governor Abbott Reappoints Melissa R. Hamilton as Public Counsel for OPIC
Governor Greg Abbott has reappointed Melissa R. Hamilton as the Public Counsel for the Office of Public Insurance Counsel for a term set to expire on February 1, 2021.
Our 2018 Achievements
We’ve been working hard for consumers this year. Here are just some of our biggest highlights from 2018:
- Reviewed, analyzed, and intervened in approximately 1,500 rate, rule, and form filings.
- Advocated for lower auto and homeowners insurance rates and fees, resulting in lower rates and fees that saved consumers almost $2 million.
- Testified in an industry-wide workers compensation hearing, arguing for lower rates for Texas businesses.
- Filed a letter of objection with the Commissioner of Insurance opposing the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA)’s proposed rate increase on coastal policyholders.
- Updated Policy Comparison Tool to be browser and mobile-friendly and added filtering options.
- Redesigned our website with consumers in mind. Our new content is provided in an easy-to-use and plain language format. Features of the website include: an agent comment portal, shopping guides and checklists, HMO report cards, and a helpful list of health agencies and resources.
OPIC Releases Recommendations Report to the 86th Texas Legislature
- Require flood disclosures on residential property applications
- Extend declarations page requirement to personal automobile policies
- Provide consumers with new options for receiving health plan notices