Highlights and News
OPIC Creates Claims Handling Information Page
Suffering damage or loss to your home can be stressful. Filing a claim doesn’t have to be. OPIC created a page dedicated to residential property claims, that includes tips on filing a claim, what to expect during the claims handling process, and what to do if there is a problem with your claim.
OPIC Provides Comments on TWIA Rate Analysis
OPIC sent comments to TWIA regarding their rate adequacy analysis on July 31, 2019. We expressed concerns with the methodologies and assumptions used, and that TWIA’s overall rate indication is inflated.
OPIC Attends 2019 HUB Expo
OPIC staff attended a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Vendor Expo in Los Colinas May 6-7, 2019. The Spot Bid Fair let state agencies and universities set up booths and talk to local HUB vendors about purchasing contracts.
2018-2019 Comparing Texas HMOs Report Released
Governor Abbott Reappoints Melissa R. Hamilton as Public Counsel for OPIC
Governor Greg Abbott has reappointed Melissa R. Hamilton as the Public Counsel for the Office of Public Insurance Counsel for a term set to expire on February 1, 2021. She was confirmed on March 6, 2019 and sworn in on March 25, 2019.
Our 2018 Achievements
We’ve been working hard for consumers this year. Here are just some of our biggest highlights from 2018:
- Reviewed, analyzed, and intervened in approximately 1,500 rate, rule, and form filings.
- Advocated for lower auto and homeowners insurance rates and fees, resulting in lower rates and fees that saved consumers almost $2 million.
- Testified in an industry-wide workers compensation hearing, arguing for lower rates for Texas businesses.
- Filed a letter of objection with the Commissioner of Insurance opposing the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA)’s proposed rate increase on coastal policyholders.
- Updated Policy Comparison Tool to be browser and mobile-friendly and added filtering options.
- Redesigned our website with consumers in mind. Our new content is provided in an easy-to-use and plain language format. Features of the website include: an agent comment portal, shopping guides and checklists, HMO report cards, and a helpful list of health agencies and resources.