If you file an insurance claim, and don’t think your insurance company is paying you enough to cover your damages, you have several different options to resolve the problem.

If you and your insurer do not agree on the amount of your claim, first contact your adjuster about the dispute. You can also contact your insurance company and ask to discuss your claim with a manager. Your insurance company may have missed something and may make adjustments.

Make sure your insurance company’s estimate covers the same work as your contractor or auto repair shop’s estimate. You may want to get more than one estimate to show the company. If your claim is about a total loss to your car, read our article on Your Options After a Total Loss.

If you’ve done the above and can’t come to an agreement, you have other options. You can:


Request Appraisal

Your policy may include a dispute resolution process called appraisal. In appraisal, you and your company each hire third-party appraisers to determine the amount of your claim. Keep in mind you will have to pay for your own appraiser and your share in some other costs associated with the appraisal process. Check your policy for any deadlines associated with appraisal. Appraisers only determine the cost to repair the damage, not what the policy covers.

Hire a Public Adjuster

You can pay a licensed public adjuster to review your damage, document your loss, and negotiate your claim for residential property claims. Public adjusters may charge a flat rate, an hourly rate, or a portion of the total claim settlement. Texas law limits the total amount a public adjuster can charge on a claim.

File a Complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI)

If you think your insurance company has treated you unfairly, you can file a complaint with TDI. You can also call TDI’s Consumer Help Line at 800-252-3439 with questions.

Contact an Attorney

You can also contact an attorney to advise you of your legal rights. You can contact a free legal hotline for legal advice, go to a legal clinic, or the State Bar of Texas can help you find an attorney.