Hurricane Resources

If you’ve evacuated during Hurricane Delta, be careful as you’re returning home. Here are some resources you may need while you’re on the road home:

  • The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT)’s DriveTexas highway map for updated road conditions and closures due to flooding and storms. Remember, Turn Around, Don’t Drown.
  • TxDOT’s hotline for current highway conditions in your area: 1-800-452-9292
  • Texas Department of Public Safety Stranded Motorist Hotline: 1-800-525-5555


Once you’re safely home, make sure you:

  • Listen to local officials for special instructions.
  • Beware of outdoor hazards like loose tree limbs and awnings.
  • Always use caution around electrical lines and electricity. Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are in standing water. If it is safe to do so, turn off electricity to prevent electric shock.
  • Keep away from loose or dangling power lines, and report them to the proper authority.
  • Avoid wading or driving in flood water, which may contain dangerous debris.
  • Wear protective clothing during clean-up.

 Resources you may need when you return home:

hurricane laura
  • Visit the Public Utility Commission’s storm page, for a power outage map and utility company contacts.
  • Visit the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website for information on public water systems, household debris management, and safe drinking water.
  • Call 2-1-1 for shelter, food, and disaster services.
  • Visit the Red Cross website to find open shelters in your area.
  • Call 7-1-1 for Relay Texas Service if you have speech or hearing loss that makes it hard to use a traditional phone.
  • For information on finding lost animals, visit the Texas Animal Health Commission’s website.

In addition to your insurance, you may get help from other sources, such as:

  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): call 800-621-3362 or visit their website
  • Texas Division of Emergency Management: call 512 424-2208 or visit their website
  • U.S. Small Business Administration: call 800-827-5722 or visit their website
  • Non-profit groups

Filing a Claim

Suffering damage or loss to your home and property can be stressful. Filing a claim doesn’t have to be. Below are some tips to help you file a claim. For more information, visit our Residential Property Claims Handling and Auto Claims Handling pages.

*️⃣  You can download a copy of our “Filing Your Claim After Hurricane Delta” flyer to have this information in one easy format.

Where do I start?

Contact your agent or insurance company to file your claim(s), as soon as possible. Make sure your agent and insurance company have your correct contact information. 

  • If you are a Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA) policy holder, file your claim by calling TWIA’s 24-hour claims center at 800-788-8247 or visit their website.
  • If you need help finding your National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood insurance agent or carrier, call NFIP at 877-336-2627. For more information visit their website.


 Document your damage by making a list and taking pictures or videos. 

Only make repairs that are necessary to protect your property from any more damage until your insurance company has seen the damage. 


Save itemized receipts for temporary repairs and living expenses. 


What’s next?

  • Ask your insurance company what deadlines require action on your part, and what you can expect from them next.
  • Find a qualified contractor or auto body shop to do repairs. 
  • Make sure the contractor or auto body shop you choose is insured or bonded.
  • Be sure to address any differences between your insurance company’s estimate and the contractor’s or auto body shop’s estimate. 
  • Get a copy of all estimates and review any contracts before signing.
  • Make sure repairs are completed. Take photos/videos for your records.
  • Keep all records about your claim, including repair estimates, emails, and receipts.

What will my insurance reimburse me for?

Read your policy and talk to your agent. You will have to pay your deductible. However, you may be able to get reimbursed for things such as:  

  • Additional Living Expenses (ALE)
  • Debris Removal
  • Temporary Repairs
  • Withheld Depreciation: Ask your company what will be paid at Replacement Cost (RC). Companies may give you one payment for the cash value of the damaged property at the time of loss, and withhold the difference between the cash value and the RC until the property is repaired or replaced. If you’re owed RC you can collect the amount withheld once you prove that you repaired or replaced your property. 

What if I have problems with my claim?

Claims can be complex and every claim is different. Here are options to help if you have a problem:

  • Contact your claims adjuster. You can also ask to speak with a claims manager at your insurance company.
  • Call OPIC at 512-322-4143 or toll-free at 1-877-611-6742. We can help answer your questions.
  • File a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). Call TDI’s Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439 or visit their website.
  • Contact an attorney to advise you of your legal rights. Visit the State Bar of Texas website or call 800-252-9690 to help you find an attorney.
  • Pay a licensed public adjuster or appraiser to review the damage and handle your claim.

OPIC Resources


hurricane delta


“Filing Your Claim After Hurricane Delta”

Informational flyer that provides tips for filing a claim after Hurricane Delta.




“What To Do After Your Home Floods” 

Informational postcard that provides resources to help you after a flood damages your home.



“What To Do After a Storm”

Informational postcard that provides resources to help you after a storm.